FAQ from Exchange Students

Student VISA application form

Whose information should I write for "reference/guarantor in Japan" on the student VISA application form?

Please write the below information of dean of Nihon University.
Name: Buichiro Watanabe
Tel: +81-55-980- 0962
College of International Relations Nihon University
2-31-145 Bunkyo-cho, Mishima Shizuoka, 411-8555 Japan
Date of birth(day)(month)(year): 21.11.1966
Relationship to applicant: Dean of host University
Profession or occupation and position: Professor (Dean of Nihon University)
Nationality and immigration status: Japan

Arrival in Japan

On the official arrival date, where should I go?

Please come to the north gate of Mishima station. If you arrive at the official arrival time which you are told in advance, Nihon University will welcome you at the station and take you to the place you stay. If you can‘t come on time, you will have to stay until the office is open.

Which station is better to transfer from Narita Express to Tokaido Shinkansen?

We recommend Shinagawa station for its easier transfer.
Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokaido Bullet Train Line): Platform# 23・24

Which bullet train should I take? Nozomi, Hikari, or Kodama?

'Nozomi' does not stop at Mishima station. If you use 'Hikari', you should check its timetable in advance since it does not stop at Mishima every time. Only 'Kodama' stops at Mishima every time.

Would you recommend any hotel to stay over before the arrival date?

*You are responsible for the hotel charge

[ Mishima Station Area ]
Hotel Toyoko Inn Fuji-san Mishima-Eki
*Homepage address: http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00215/index.html
*reservation page: https://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/
*Phone Number: +81-(0)55-980-1045
*Estimated room rate per night: Approx. 6,000 yen for a single room
*Distance from the main campus: 15 minutes on foot
*Distance from the Mishima station north exit: 2 minutes

Place to live

Where will I live during my stay in Japan?

Nihon University offers you an off-campus dormitory room. It is a studio apartment room, and a toilet, a bath and a small kitchen are in each room.

Will I get my own room or will I have to share a room with someone?

Yes, you will have your own room.

What kinds of facilities are offered in my room?

Rice cooker, microwave, reading light, refrigerator, washing
machine, bed, comforter, blanket, pillow, bed linens are equipped.
Please refer to the list of equipped items for details.

Is there an internet access in a room?

There is Wi-Fi in each room. You need to bring your own devices.

How can I pay the dormitory fees? (Except for ISEP students)

You will receive a dormitory payment slip when you get to Nihon University and will have to pay it at Suruga Bank. The monthly dormitory fee is 1780yen x number of days, and you will pay it by the 25th of the previous month. The details will be informed at the orientation.

I would like to send some things to my dormitory room from my home country prior to my arrival.

University won't be able to receive any belongings on your behalf. Please make sure they will arrive after your arrival.

Course registration

Is it possible to change the courses for which you have registered?

Yes, it is possible to do so if it is within the course modification period. Please notify the course teacher if you wish to do so. No changes are allowed after the course modification period and withdrawal is treated the same as failure.

What are the maximum credits I can earn?

You can earn up to 20 credits per semester.

I am planning to register for English courses only. Should I still take Japanese placement test?

Yes, you should since Japanese class is a compulsory subject.

I am planning to study at Nihon University for one semester. Is it possible to extend my study period later?

You need to consult your home university first, then the C.I.E.L.D. by below deadline: 1st semester: mid-May, 2nd Semester: mid-November

Life in Mishima

Do I have to join the Japanese national health insurance programs? I have bought oversea travel insurance policy in my country that covers during my stay in Japan.

Yes, you need to join the Japanese national insurance prgrams. The details will be informed at orientation.

Can I work part time during my stay in Japan?

Yes, you can as long as you have a permission from the Immigration Bureau and obey the rules.

1. You must apply for a "PERMISSION TO ENGAGE IN ACTIVITY OTHER THAN THAT ERMITTED UNDER THE STATUS OF RESIDENCE PREVIOUSLY GRANTED" at the airport's immigration control when you first enter Japan with your new student visa. Or you may apply later at the Immigration Bureau office in Shizuoka city..
*You cannot have a part time job without this permission.

2. You are permitted to work for 28 hours or shorter a week. You can find information details at the following website;
Information in English: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/shikakugai.html
Application in English: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/09.html
* You can download PDF or EXCEL application file at this website.

Can I get a student discount service for JR trains as an exchange student?

Unfortunately, by JR policy, the service is not available for exchange students.

I take prescription medication. Can I get the same medication in Japan?

If you currently take prescription medication, you will want to plan ahead for your semester abroad. Medication cannot be shipped to you from overseas. To obtain a supply of medication for the duration of your study abroad program, please talk with your physician. Be sure your physician provides you with a copy of the prescription and/or a physician's statement. You may need to present it when you enter Japan with the priscription medications. You may also want to have your doctor prescribe substitute or alternate prescriptions in case your exact medication is not available in Japan. You should also write down the generic name of your medication(s), as medical practitioners in Japan may not be familiar with brand names used in your country.

Is there anything I should prepare before going to Japan?

We recommend you bring some Japanese money (yen), since you will take trains and buy something to eat. Otherwise, if you bring credit cards, you should check in advance whether if you can use them at Japanese ATMs or banks around Mishima.

How is the weather in March?

Temperatures at the end of winter and the beginning of spring can vary widely. This is due to a weather phenomenon known in Japan as San-Kan-Shi-On, 三寒四温 (3 days of cold followed by 4 days of warm weather). The weather, then, can be quite changeable in March. We advise you to bring a jacket for its sometimes mildly cold days. From April, as the weather gets warmer and warmer, long sleeve shirts or light jackets are enough. Summer in Mishima is hot but a little less humid than many other parts of Japan.